Saturday, December 31, 2011

Happy New Year!!

Hopefully everyone had a good Christmas. We celebrated with family and friends, as it should be. It was emotionally tough during some parts as we tried to weave old traditions with new ones without my Dad, but all in all it was a good Christmas. As we get ready to celebrate the new year, I reflect on 2011 and can honestly say that I have never looked more forward to heading into another year...one with fresh starts and GOOD HEALTH!

There were a few things, silver linings in the dark clouds, that I will carry with me as positives into the new year. Despite the circumstances, it was wonderful to see how many people my Dad had a positive effect on. I have always known what a great man he was. He was always there for us growing up, a terrific Grandpa to our kids, as well as a Grandpa figure to many of Courtney's friends. But to have others further removed from our family circle who only knew a small part of him share how he touched their life is really something to celebrate. I have heard him referred to as a great role model, a great boss, a wonderful Christian, someone who is there to lend a helping hand, and so much more. As I said, I knew all of those things about him, but when you hear how he helped someone's life years ago during such a brief encounter or taught young men how to be a good family man by example, I can only hope that my life will continue to be a good reflection of God's love and how to live a life full of purpose.

Throughout this past year, I have also been reminded of what great people I have surrounding me. I could not have asked for better people to be part of "Team Michelle". You prayed, you emailed, you cooked, you called, you showed your support by walking or donating for the team in Race for the Cure, you picked me up when I was having a rough day, and so much more! All I can say is WOW and thank YOU! My family is so grateful for all the ways you loved us. I still have a process ahead, but knowing we are not alone is such a big part of working through all of this.

Lastly, I was reminded how fast life can change. Enjoy the time you have been given and take the time to nurture the relationships in your life. God has a funny way of throwing curve balls to help you learn to trust in Him. It's how you deal with those twists and turns of life that will write on the wall of who you are.

Happy 2012!!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for writing this, Michelle. Your last paragraph should resonate with all of us. May 2012 bring you more healing and good health!

    ReplyDelete