Thursday, August 4, 2011

A Day of Change

Yesterday I had a follow up with my surgeon, Dr. Irani so she could check on my healing from last week's surgeries. She said all is healing well, and gave me a more detailed report of my lymph nodes coming back negative. She is very confident that by starting with the chemotherapy treatment, we can shrink that tumor off the muscle and allow for clearer margins when surgery time comes thereby giving me the best chance at total removal of the cancer. Yay!!

She did share with me that despite the fact she has several patients here in McMinnville, she has decided to move back closer to her home in Texas. She recommended a couple of good surgeons right there in their office. After talking with some other breast cancer survivors who have sought treatment in various ways, I have decided likely I will go to the Oregon Breast Center in West Linn. They specialize in treatment of women with breast cancers and concerns and have a very good reputation. I called yesterday to set up an initial appointment with them so I can get to know Dr. Richmond before my surgery approaches too closely. She works with several plastic surgeons in the area as well so we will talk about what options will be best for me as we move forward after chemo. My appointment with her is Thursday, August 18. I feel very good about this possibility and this center works with my current oncologist, Dr. O'Brien, so I don't have to give up anything I have established with her already. I will miss Dr. Irani, as she is very compassionate and it's obvious she cares a lot for her patients, but I feel that God has a plan and is leading me to where He feels I will be taken care of best.

For the most part I am still feeling pretty good. I did start my day off with a bout of sickness/queasiness, but with rest and a quiet day have managed to keep it at bay for the most part. I talked to the nurses at the cancer center about some tips I can do differently for when I am
taking the meds the first few days after chemo that hopefully will continue to help me feel as good as possible. It is not uncommon when stepping down on some of the medications that are in place for nausea and other side effects that the body has to play catch up a bit. Hopefully this next couple of days will go by quietly. The Neulasta shot for boosting my white blood cells has started making my legs achey. They warned me this could happen as it tends to focus on the bone marrow which makes them ache for a few days.

Thanks for the continued emails, prayers and friendship! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment